So last week I called Jim while driving home and he was grumpy...then he told me he was paying bills. That's never good....so he tells me that our credit card bill was so high last month, and how did I manage to spend so much?! Umm...easily, i thought to myself, but instead I played dumb and said, "Like what? What did I spend SO much on?"
He starts rattling off stuff..."Like Old Navy. You spent $300 at Old Navy." I was thinking oh well I bought the kids such cute clothes, that's how...but then I wondered where all those clothes were if I indeed did purchase them. I said, "I don't remember buying clothes at Old Navy." Jim, still ticked says, "well, you did. It says right here on our statement--Old Navy Laguna Niguel." That's when it dawned on me and i told him, "First of all, I NEVER go to the Old Navy store in Laguna Niguel. And secondly, I have an Old Navy card so if I did spend $300, I would have put it on that card to get my reward points! (I'm no fool!)". So then I asked him what day this transaction was made on, and sure enough, it was the day my wallet got stolen out of my car.
Turns out, the girl, or woman, who stole my wallet and checkbook has gotten away with quite a bit, which is surprising seeing as I had cancelled everything within two hours of discovering my wallet was gone. But here is the bizarre thing. I'm 99% sure my wallet was stolen from my car at a very busy park. And after seeing where the thief went with my money, I wonder if it is a mom who stole it. Seriously, maybe with this economy desperate times call for desperate measures?
She wrote a check at Gelson's Market, and when I saw the check, i knew it was a girl from the handwriting. But she only spent $167 at the grocery store....that's not that much. i do that weekly at Traders. Then, she spent $300 at Old Navy, $40 at Party City, and $40 at Bath and Body Works. Aren't those stores so random?? Did she stock up on paper plates at Party City? Or is someone having a birthday that she just got all the decorations/supplies for? And Bath and Body Works....a year's supply worth of lotions? I don't know....the amounts spent just aren't that much, and the places she went were so specific it's like she didn't really want to just spend wildly, but simply afford the things she needs. She didn't go out and buy cameras or flat screen tvs, or even clothes at a high-end store. She also spent $250 at CVS pharmacy. Prescriptions for the family? All in all, she spent about $1,000 between my Discover card and my check book.
I don't know, this is just my theory. Maybe I'm way off and the thief just went to places that they could guarantee wouldn't ask for ID and that was how they wound up in those stores. But I don't know; it creeps me out to think about it. If it was a mom who took it at the park I was at, did she have kids with her that she immediately loaded in the car to head out on a spending spree before the cards were cancelled? I am just so curious to know who it was.
But it all makes me feel so violated. I saw my name "signed" on the check at Gelson's and it just creeped me out that someone would do that...in my name. I guess I'm just grateful that whoever took my wallet/checkbook only went to a few local stores rather than turn this into some huge identity theft nightmare!
Friday, February 27
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
So annoying! I think the reason for Old Navy, Party City & Bath & Body is because all 3 stores are right next to each other in Aliso Viejo. I've heard that home break-in are up too because of the economy. Scary!
If that is the case....you really need to un-cancel your credit card and let the poor woman provide the necessities for her needy family. And tell Jim-Bob it is all in the name of charity.
Post a Comment