I knew the day would come, but Jim and I are still unprepared. Kate has now started to ask the dreaded question: Where do babies come from? Actually, i wish this was the question that she was asking. She is actually being quite specific in wanting to know how the baby comes out. She informed us the other night at dinner that she asked Miss Helen, her preschool teacher, how the baby comes out and all Miss Helen would say was, "The baby comes out in a special way." But Kate was NOT satisfied with that answer.
Jim's voice is never heard on this blog, but I thought I would cut and paste a portion of an e-mail he just sent me:
"I forgot to tell you last night what she said in her prayer. “…please bless that I can go to the doctor soon to see how the baby comes out…” Then she asked me again afterward how it works. I told her that only the doctor can do it at the hospital. She replied, “I KNOOOWWW, but HOOWW does he do it?” I don’t think she is going to let it go very easily. We are going to have to figure out something clever to tell her."
Yikes! What do we do? Here's the thing....Kate is such a precocious little thing that part of me just wants to tell her the truth, birds and the bees style. BUT, she is also a BIG yakker to anyone who will listen. I can just picture her recounting my explanation to her preschool teacher, her Sunbeam class, a woman behind us at the checkout counter at the store, etc. I'm not kidding, the girl is an open book. So really, what should I do? Do I make up some ridiculous explanation or do I tell my almost 4-year old the truth??
Tuesday, May 13
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
I vote for the truth. There are some videos you can show her on line catered to children that I used to use in my Biology class if you're interested (no gore, its a cartoon).
Plus, I'd LOVE to hear her version in sunbeams on Sunday :-)
I vote for something "really clever".
Good luck. If she has "skanky" in her vocab, she should be able to handle anything.
I say you sugar coat some vague story. Good luck. let me know what you come up with.
I'll call you tomorrow with what I ended up telling Cate. I had the EXACT same conversation with her last year at this time, (they are SO similar) and all of her friend's moms begged me not to tell her! They knew she would just tell everyone...
THis comment is for your last blog..I like Shane, but come on, they will never last. She was fun to watch and I did like her "real" personality, but she is AN ACTRESS! She did this to get in front of the camera. Now, they do have some serious chemistry, but she's hot and he's hot so that's not hard! I did like Matt when he was with her better than the awkward chelsea, but chelsea seems more like me so I naturally wanted to like her more. She's just "cool"! Well, it was fun to watch, thanks for getting me readdicted and back on the wagon!
Now this is funny. What's also funny is how some kids (i.e. Henry) don't give a rat's about stuff like that).
My friend Traci just told me that her four year-old daughter asked her, "Mom, when you had Jack, did you just open your mouth and he climbed out?" Ha ha!
Well, you asked for specifics, so here's my two cents, my friend Ruth told this to her kids when they asked: All boys and girls have places where pee and poop come out and girls also have a place where babies come out.
There you go. Problem solved. I'm SURE Kate will NEVER need to ask another question.
Ha. My little Veevs asked and asked and asked and finally I just said, "You know, they come out of ___ (I dont' want you to get any crazy searches).
She just looked at me and hasn't said another word. She really just wanted to know.
Good luck on it all!
Aids, I wouldn't spend much time explaining how babies actually come out, but I would spend quite a bit of time getting into how babies are made. You know, about how you and Jim are in love and how that leads to other things. Come on, give it to her straight, all of it.
ok. funny comments. I am still chuckling about Blair's comment.
I say the truth is always better. Although I like the climbing through the mouth one, or maybe through the belly button would be good.
Good luck. You've got a curious one on your hands!
I don't know what to tell you. Go ahead and tell her the truth. Then she can tell Avery and I won't have to deal with it!
Post a Comment