Sunday, April 27

What was I thinking?

So as many of you know, I am pregnant again! #3....give me strength. I am due Dec. 4--now doesn't that just sound right around the corner??

So here's the deal....every time I get pregnant I try to tell myself that I am going to be so stoic about it all; I vow to not complain and to just persevere without voicing every complaint I feel at every minute of every day. I promise myself that I'm going to carry on with all of my daily activities, excuse myself to throw up quietly, and resume cleaning the house and reading books to my children. Well then, of course, I actually get pregnant.

But honestly, these past few weeks I have just been thinking about how no woman should have to go through this, for 9 full months, with other kids to care for, again and again and again. As I'm vomiting in the toilet, with Ezra patting my back, I just feel like such a martyr, like the whole world should know what suffering I am going through. Sometimes I think to myself, I don't know how I will be able to handle this nausea for one more minute, and even as I'm thinking it I am also thinking, "Well you better figure it out because you've got at least 4 more weeks of it." How dramatic is this...the other day after I threw up, i literally started singing the song (in my head) "No-body knows...the trouble I've seen. No-body knows.....my sorrow." Ha ha, I actually smiled though, realizing how dramatic I am. I mean, geesh, picture the pioneers doing this! I've got my Zofran to keep things from getting too out of hand, and yet here I am, silently singing Negro spirituals to myself.

My mom, mother of 7 kids mind you, used to always tell us that whenever she was pregnant, she wanted to write herself a letter to tell her self to NEVER get +pregnant again. She wanted to be able to talk some sense into her self down the road, and remind herself just how miserable she was at that very moment. How is it, if we are that miserable, we allow ourselves to forget? It is obviously part of a divine plan.

But here is my main complaint about this first trimester nightmare-the endless amount of SPIT in my mouth. Honestly, what part of growing a life inside me requires my body to produce massive amounts of slimy, foul-tasting spit that endlessly fills my mouth? I know it's gross, but this is me being a martyr, remember? If I have to suffer through it, so do you, at least through reading it and reliving it if it happened to you. My friend Christy described it as her mouth "watering." But that is much too nice of a description--in fact, it has a positive connotation, like your mouth watering over something tasty and delicious. When Jim had tonsilitis, his throat was incredibly sore and it hurt his throat to swallow. So he resorted to his "spit cups." That's right, I would discover cups of his foamy spit all around the house. Nasty right?? Well, not so nasty to me right now! i would go to any length to avoid swallowing. And I've tried sucking everything under the sun, from Lifesavers to breath mints to preggie pops, etc. And while it flavors the spit temporarily, it then leaves a bitter aftertaste that then lingers and mixes with my own nasty spit and it is all I can do to not get a spit cup of my own. It's awful....the taste in my mouth 24/7 tastes like I'm sucking on a penny. Ugh....

So anyway, that is my complaint. I wish I could say I got that off my chest so now I won't complain, but I've gotta keep it real and that is for sure not going to happen. But to put things into perspective of how things are going around here, I will leave you with a few of Kate's latest comments.

Quote #1: Last week, Kate had a friend over, because she plays endlessly with friends, which leaves me to lay on the couch. I had been on the couch for several hours, when Kate came and asked me to turn on the hose for them so they could water the grass. So I stood up to go help them, and Kate went running to her friend Avery yelling, "She's coming Avery! She's coming!!" How sad....me leaving my post on the couch was cause for celebration.

Quote #2: My mom came last week to help me out and she stayed all week long. She was a lifesaver, and when she left yesterday afternoon, I literally cried like a baby. I was wiping my tears, sitting on the couch, and Kate says to me in such a tender, little voice: "Mom, are you sad that Grammy Kay left?" And I said, "Yeah, sweetie, i am." And she said, "Why....cause you still need her to take care of you?" Kids can truly be so insightful.

Quote #3: I got an e-mail this week from a lady in my ward who had substituted in Kate's Sunbeam class last week. She e-mailed me and told me that Kate had said the prayer in class, and apparently she thanked Heavenly Father "that my mommy isn't mean to me anymore." Whaaa? I was mortified. I e-mailed back, feebly trying to redeem myself by conceding that maybe pregnancy doesn't bring out the best in me.

Out of the mouth of babes, right? So anyway, here's to at least 4 more weeks of misery (picture me, raising a toast with my spit cup! :)

16 comments:

ginacrotts.jamberrynails.net said...

I didn't know you are prego! Congrats... and yeah next time you want a reminder on how horrible it is to be prego, call me! I haven't forgotten. =)

Tarah said...

I don't know how any woman survives being so sick during pregnancy.... but it's only for a season and somehow you'll pull through just like you have before. Sorry, hope it's over soon

Unknown said...

Oh, Adrienne! I am so sorry! After reading this, I don't know if I ever want to get pregnant. Seriously! The next time I get depressed I will just think of your nasty spit and that should cheer me right up. Hang in there, and thanks for enduring the pain. We can't wait to see how adorable your next one will be. We love you!!

Christy said...

Ah, so sorry! We want to have Kate over again this week. Maybe Wednesday again. I'll call you. Seriously, take all the help you can get.

Wendy said...

Funny how these things work out. I hope you make it through another couple hours. Can Kate come over after school this week?

Jessica said...

Did you seriously say "Negro spirituals"???

Annalee said...

Congratulations Adrienne! I am so excited for you but sad that you are so miserable. Let me know if I can help in any way.

The McCulloughs said...

Okay, Cam will be so happy that I read your post and it is pretty much making me think that he may be right and 2 kids are enough! I get sick, but not as sick as you and I understand it all! I feel like basically the first 3 months when I am pregnant I am in another world (possibly Hell??) It seems like it will never end and then it is so crazy that we seem to think that it will be different the next time. Keep your chin up (and on the toilet seat!) and know that I think your a champ! I don't know how you do it with 2 kids!?? Good luck!

Jenny said...

All I can say is that I feel your pain.
Cate told me today that she wanted 6 kids. Then she asked, "How many kids does Mandy have?" I told her 5. She changed her mind, "I want 5 kids then." I told her Mandy might not be done having kids, so she changed her mind again to say that she wanted to have as many kids as Mandy does.
Heaven help her!
I wish I felt like 2 could be enough. Because I remember the spit in mouth all too well. But along with all the nastiness you've been enduring, imagine tablets of progesterone foaming under your tongue twice a day for 10 + weeks. Just the thought of it again is making me throw up a little in my mouth.
I'll call you for a playdate. But you better call me first if things get out of control.

ali said...

cheers to that from one spit cup to another. It almost makes me want to get pregnant so we can wallow in our misery together.

you can do it...maybe only a few more weeks.

Kim said...

Just make sure you don't spit on the sidewalk. ;) I have to hand it to you...if I felt like that while I was pregnant, I sure wouldn't be anxious to do it again. You're amazing! If you need anything don't hesitate to call. :)

maryam said...

I miss you. I need you to come out of hibernation. Stop blaming your nausea on everthing. I'm starting to think you're making things up. HA! Just kidding. I am sorry you are so sick. Let's start a countdown until pregnancy bliss...

Sara Decker said...

Gross...I dont get that spit problem thank goodness, just every other horrible symptom known to man. What can I say??? This is something we know will happen, but we have to do it right? I just wish you weren't such a crazy lady trying to stick to your every 2 years schedule, being pregnant at the same time was so much better. Then I actually listened and could empathize with your complaints...now I'm just like yeah yeah....then I will call you next year when you have a one year old and your life is awesome and I will be like, "guess what? I just threw up and Grayson is patting my back and you will be like...sorry, i'm on my way out to the mall, sucks to be you!" We do know this for sure......it will pass. Hang in there, call me to complain, it is a good reminder to wait as long as possible.

Melissa said...

If I told you all the things that made me laugh out loud in this post, it would be the longest comment ever.

I thought it was just cuz I knew you and could picture all of this in my head, but alas, you are even funny to people who have never met you. My friend from NYC called and said she was laughing so hard at this post. You got it a-holio.

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

I'm so excited that we are prego again together so that we can swap martyr stories. Isn't this fun? You describe it so vividly, it makes my mouth water. Cheers! :) Nast.

Love you!

Natalie

ItismeMo said...

Hi Adrienne,
Its Maren! I found your blog from Brooke Wilkins. I didnt know you're pregnant again! That is so exciting! You are a wonderful mom and your kids are so adorable! So fun! Congrats! :-)