So i recently got back from my sister Liz's house in Utah. I went up there to help her out with her...ahem....SIXTH baby. Her kid's ages are 10,8,6,4,2, and now two weeks! Welcome baby Cameron!
My new saying for my sister Liz is that she should be a pioneer. Seriously, the woman is such a trooper! I went up there expecting to swoop in and just save the day, you know, mop the floors while feeding the kids while Liz took a 3 hour nap. But apparently, when there are 6 people to take care of, that doesn't happen. I did what I could, but running that house is a lot of work! Oh, and did I mention that her husband is the first counselor in the Bishopric and a partner in his engineering firm. But my sister Liz is that stalwart Mormon mom that you just watch in awe. It is not unusual to find Liz grinding her own wheat to make 4 loaves of her homemade wheat bread (which she does regularly--that's all they eat!), canning 40 lbs. of chicken for her food storage, whipping up gourmet meals every night, monitoring one of her kids practicing piano while nursing her new babe, running all of her kids around the town, and baking baking baking. I'm not kidding--Liz loves to cook/bake. Her idea of a simple meal on a Tuesday night is Green Chili Burros. Sounds easy enough, right? But you take a roast, cook it in the crock pot all day, then shred it, and make it into tacos. Who's cooks a roast all day just to slap it into a tortilla? Liz does, that's who. Most of the delicious things I make are from Liz--like my lemon bundt cake, sugar cookies, pb brownie cupcakes, apple crisp, lasagna, homemade french bread, and casserole after casserole. She's amazing, she really is. And her kids are all so sweet and well behaved.
While up there I would watch her and I felt like her life right now is the life that I always pictured myself living. But living in CA, is probably never going to happen. She lives in Kaysville, where almost all of her neighbors are Mormon and have a lot of small kids. So her life is just one big carpool--I'm serious, all their kids are in soccer and school activities and cub scouts and preschool together--so she just calls one of her neighbors up and it is one big co-op of babysitting and car pools. There are kids running up and down the streets, her kids are in and out of the house from playing with all the neighbors, the phone is ringing off the hook for play dates--her house is full of noisy chaos. I dig it. Liz and her neighbors will call each other and say, "Big blocks of cheese are on sale right now at Dan's, I'll pick you up one." And then one of their kids will run it right over; meanwhile Liz is at Albertson's buying boxes of cold cereal for that same neighbor because it is 10/$10. I'm not joking here people.
But living in CA life is so different. There are no small kids in my neighborhood. We go on a walk around my house and it is a ghost town, except for old people walking their dogs. And play dates are naturally more of an ordeal because our kids just can't slam the screen door and run out to meet friends on the lawn. But I felt like Liz and her husband Justin have seen the bigger picture--their life revolves around their family (no cable!), and they do it so well. I would love to have a big family like that, but when I once voiced that out loud, my oldest brother Nate said, "Oh, you're not cut out for 5 kids." Yikes....tell me what you really think!
This post is running on, but here is a conversation Liz and I had that indicates how much more qualified she is than me to have lots of kids. I was telling her how I love the stage that Ezra is at right now. I said, "he is just so hilarious....like his tantrums are a crack-up! They are just so comical that they don't even piss me off yet." Liz started laughing, and was still laughing after a few seconds. I said to her, "What's so funny Liz?" And she said, "What do you mean pisses you off?" Sadly, I think she thought I was exaggerating about how I felt just to be funny. I said to her, "When your kids are having a huge tantrum, it honestly doesn't piss you off?" And in true pioneer fashion, she replied, "Well, I start to think, okay that's enough. Stop or your going to your bedroom...but I don't think I've ever been pissed." Ummm, yeah. I guess that little anecdote says it all.
anyway, kudos to Liz. It was so fun to spend time with her. She's a great big sister and I'm not kidding, the only thing I can cite about her to make her not seem like Polly Pioneer is that the woman loves a nap! She's a solid napper, and has no qualms leaving laundry unfolded and hittin' the sack with her new babe and her toddler. I'm not sure the pioneers took too many siestas, but as a nap lover myself, it just makes you that much more endearing Liz!
Saturday, March 15
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
Stepford wife...seriously? Someone has issues.
My bad....Sorry to offend. I'll start over and just say this: Utah is not for me. That's all. My comments had absolutely nothing to do with your sister! I'll keep my mouth shut!
You go Liz!! Just thinking about 6 kids makes me exhausted. She sound soo amazing! I wish I could be more like that, but unfortunatley I am way too uptight to have 6 kids and yes, I too get pissed at my kids at times! I do think that there are very special people that can handle that many kids and I am sure their kids have soo much fun. I live in Utah, but not the same Utah as Liz. I wish my kids lived by all of their friends and could just run out the door and play... maybe one day! We have a ton of kids in our neighborhood, just not right next door. I think that would be awesome! Anyway congrats to Liz... She is awesome and I am also in awe of her!
More power to her! Everyone has their callings in life and is it obvious being a mother is Liz's. There are pros and cons to both Utah and CA. Don't miss it too much A... LOL!
Thank goodness for Liz and her peanut butter brownie cupcakes!!! She sounds amazing, but i was about to have an anxiety attack thinking about living on her street, that would stress me out. I will live in my quiet neighborhood and decide when i want to drive my kids to a playdate...two cities away, ha ha.
p.s. tantrums piss me off too!
AZ....those drinkable yogurts (not the Costco kind) are on sale this week. Let me know how many to pick up for you...and your ssisy in law.
That's weird, I don't think my kids have ever caused my blood pressure to rise even the tiniest bit, and I don't think I've ever even been tempted to raise my voice even the tiniest bit, and I definitely have never had any negative feelings towards my children.
Liz is an anomaly, that's for sure. I, too, am in awe of her. One thing I love is that her kids can't get her worked up too much but she still has quite the personality -- she's no bump on a log!
what up with all the deleted comments?
Go Liz, go Liz! You amazing, you amazing!
I would just like to tell myself that she must have been more uptight with her first couple of kids and got more and more relaxed but I'm sure that's not the case. Some people can juggle a little more with grace. What a great example. I wish I had someone to be an example to me. j/k Love you all.
I need to learn more of Liz's anecdotes...please tell me how I am going to handle #5 in four months, when I am "certifiable" with the 4 kids that I already have!!! Just kidding (well, almost). Our kids are perfect!...when they are sleeping :)
Post a Comment