Thursday, February 7

My bad....

So whenever my sister Celia and I made out with someone in high school or college that we were embarassed about, we called it a "low pride night." I would like to say that neither one of us had too many of those, but, live and learn, right? Gotta kiss a few frogs to find your prince, right? At least that's what we tell ourselves.
Well, this past week I have had some "low pride" parenting moments....perhaps even bordering on neglectful. I know, shocking, right? I was really sick on Monday--I think I had my first migraine, so I was obviously not doing a stellar job of parenting that day, and the other days I don't really have an excuse. When Kate is at preschool, I have a tendency to let Ezra wander around downstairs by himself while I work out, shower, or clean the upstairs. If I don't hear him crying, I'm usually just grateful he's not whining at my feet. But lately, this has proven to maybe not be such a bright idea. Hence the few photos below......

So I secured him in his seat, and gave him a snack. Who knew he was going to wrangle his arm out of his sweatshirt like that? Perhaps he was trying to make a fashion statement with that off-the-shoulder look. But no harm, right?



But this next incident I actually feel pretty bad about. I was dozing in and out on Monday morning (migraine, remember?)and I woke up and I didn't hear Ezra downstairs. So I came downstairs to check on him and I found him like this.



He had found a binky somewhere, and then pulled that brown throw off the couch, which is the same Barefoot Dreams blanket that he has in his crib. So he just fell asleep....like, well, if nobody cares about me, I might as well just lay down and take a nap. I was recounting this story to my mom on the phone, and I said, "So Ezra was downstairs by himself" and she interrupted me to say in clear disdain, "He was downstairs alone!". Umm, yeah, mom, and that isn't even the sad part of this story! And the worst part? I was just relieved he was safe so I just went back up to bed! The next time I woke up I hurried back downstairs once again to see where he was, and he was out in the garage pushing an umbrella stroller around. Seriously, someone is going to call DFS on me! But I'll just keep tossing the word migraine out there in an effort to rationalize my poor parenting choices.

And finally, this just happened this morning (clearly I'm a slow learner). I was working out in my room (I record some lifting programs off of Fit TV) and I was wrapping it up when Sara called me. I told her that Ez was downstairs, yet again, unattended to and she said, "Oh, that's brave." Why is that brave? What could my darling boy possibly be doing? Oh wait, total mischief!!



Mind you that box of "Marshmallow Treasure Oats" (Target brand y'all) was up on the kitchen table from breakfast! How he managed to get it down, pull out the plastic bag, and dump it all out is beyond me! But look at that face...."Don't worry mom, I got my own snack--things are totally under control down here! And all of this marshmallowey deliciousness is the best!" Because don't worry, Ez is no fool-he picks through for the marshmallows, like all kids do. But what a mess--the camera didn't capture all that fine, bottom-of-the-bag-cereal dust that was ground into my carpet! And finally, the icing on my "crappy parent of the week" cake was that the Sesame Street I had started for him on the DVR had ended, so it had jumped to live tv.....so poor little Ezzie Bear was sitting there eating straight sugar, watching....Jerry Springer. Lol! I know, like I said, low pride moment!!

But if I'm being totally honest, this post hasn't even shamed me into promising that I am never going to let Ezra play downstairs alone anymore....how's a gal supposed to get anything done?! But I guess I should probably check on him more often. :)

19 comments:

Celia said...

First of all, hilarious. How can you get mad at Ez? He's way too cute to be in trouble. (Plus, I love his shoes. Where'd you get those?)

Secondly, I don't know what you're talking about with that "low pride night" nonsense. All of my "kissing encounters" were after like the 10th date with courteous, model, fine upstanding citizens who were all destined to be doctors, lawyers, firemen, etc. Plus, they were all hot so what's a gal to do?

Thirdly, I think it's awesome that the same day you told Mom about poor, neglected, napping Ez, she called me and I told her how my kids were playing upstairs alone (don't tell her that I was downstairs reading on my bed -- not cleaning like I told her) and they pulled Ruby's dresser down on top of them, pinning them to the ground. Yeah, they were both screaming. Apparently, neglecting our children must run in our blood because Mom totally neglected us that one time we snuck downstairs and stole seven choc. chip cookies each with a huge glass of milk, took it back upstairs to our playroom and made ourselves sick.

Fourthly, I heart that I write such long comments. I might as well write your posts for you. Or maybe I should rent a little space on your b-log and you could make a little money off my rambling.

Heidi said...

Freak. I can't compete with novelist Celia up there. I was going to share a story of my own neglectful behavior . . . but Celia totally intimidated me out of it.

My kids watch wicked amounts of television.

ali said...

stop it. stop it now. your posts are way too funny. I love that after ALL those stories of neglect, you weren't too proud to promise that it wouldn't happen again.

nice, adrienne...nice. I would NEVER let such things happen. ha.

oh and that little Ezzy is too stinkin cute in those brown shoes!

Jessica Davis said...

This is great. You crack me up. But you are not alone! My sister Melinda (the one with the 8 kids) frequently locks her kids out of the bathroom so that she can take a bath in the middle of the day and talk to her sisters on the phone for an hour. We can always hear chaos erupting on the other side of her bathroom door.

Jenny said...

Oh Adrienne, another side-splitter. I'm giggling, because I totally can see myself doing any one of those things. And, sucks for me, Mack is no longer happy "hanging out" in his crib, so he likes to wander the halls now. Sorry to hear about your migraine. You should have called me to take Ez for you.

Sara Decker said...

Normally if i see a post on a blog that is long i think "i will come back later and read that, it is too long," but not on yours!!! I love every minute of it. You are so honest and hilarious. We both know i would never leave my kids alone like that, but not by choice...Bennett wouldn't let it happen. But at least you can laugh about the distruction going on downstairs, i would walk down and have an even lower-pride moment by screaming at my kids for making the mess they just made while i was neglecting them!!! Classic mothering moments.

Melissa said...

This is laugh out loud funny. The pic of Ezra face down asleep on the floor is priceless. I am laughing just thinking about it.
I agree - you can't get a thing done if your kids are in sight...but anytime it gets too quiet I know I am in trouble. Why are they only quiet if they are doing something they aren't supposed to be doing?
Lucky Charms and Jerry Springer - sounds like a great afternoon.
PS - SO glad you watch Project Runway. Haven't the last few challenges been so cool? I have wanted to blog about them but don't know if others watch it. I heart that show.
Thanks for making me laugh. Hard. Like you always do foo.

The McCulloughs said...

First of all, Celia- I loved your ramblings.. you Smith's are such a funny bunch! Adrienne, I have moments like these way too often. I seriously love that he was eating marshmallows and watching Jerry Springer!!! SOOOO funny! I am sure you are a great mom. We would all never do these things if we didn't have anything else to do. Good for you exercising and getting ready for the cruise.. I may just wear a mumu! I love reading your blog- it always gives me a good laugh!

Elizabeth said...

I love how you do that, becuase it makes me feel better about how I do it too! I ALWAYS have the kids down stairs doing who knows what while i'm upstairs taking a shower and cleaning! That was such a cute picture of him sleeping, thats hilarious!

Heidi said...

I gave you an award on my blog. Come get it.

andrea said...

Adrienne
Another great installment on your blog. Is it crazy to say that I can't wait to have kids so I can have my own crazy stories of leaving my kids on their own!

Thanks for sharing!

andrea

Jen said...

I wish I could use a magic wand to get my daughter not to eat only the marshmallows in Marshmallow Mateys.

And "Oh, Quiet!" should be a parental swearword, because it always means something bad around here, too.

Wendy said...

Ok, I didn't read this post until now because it looked way to long. So, it had to wait until Saturday night until I could do some serious blogging. This post was well worth the wait. OMG! I was laughing so hard, I had tears dripping off my chin. We have all been there. All the way from the past flings (I needed to kiss a lot of frogs to really recognize and appreciate my prince) to ignoring my children to the point of neglect. I wish I could top your "low pride moments" but I can't think of anything right now. I love that Ez was watching Jerry Springer. You and Celia are so funny talking about your own Mom neglecting you guys. How weren't we neglected when they had 6+ kids? Aren't these the same mothers who didn't use car seats, believed in corporal punishment, let us roam the neighborhood unsupervised, and have their own ten year olds babysit their 5 younger siblings for hours. Welcome to the life of a stay at home mom. Who says that it's Club Med eveyday of the week?

Sara said...

What a small world! I just finished writing a post about Shelly, and decided to check out my favorite blogs and via Heidi (we were AFG counselors together) I was directed to your blog- how crazy! You guys are all so funny- and you can add me to the neglectful mothers list...actually, I have some pretty low moments where I forgot to pick my kids up from school...let's just say that we have all been there. If you don't mind, I'm going to add you to my page so I can come back and read more funniness- thanks! :)

Nate and Tasha said...

I am so glad I am not alone. It sounds like we all have our moments of neglect. I forgot to buckle Kalli's car seat in for a whole week! And how I figured it out...I turned a sharp corner and Kalli starts wimpering because she is laying sideways in her car seat on the back seat. Whoops! I loved that Ezra was watching Jerry Springer, such a kid friendly show, very good role models. Thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you feed your child Target brand cereal. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, I absolutely Love you! Your blog is a staple in my life and I was seriously crying when I was reading this. You should be a writer, seriously! I love it! You are a great mom and if I do say so, you have great taste when it comes to dressing Ezra. ;)

SUMMER said...

AZ- you are so brave! I get so nervous to leave my kids alone! Maybe that is why I feel like I am going CRAZY everyday. I fear that Berkley will get under the sink and drink a bottle of cleaner! I have gotten better though. With Haven, I never ONCE left her alone and stuck to her like glue. No one could even babysit her because they may not watch her as good as I did. I admit this time around that I have showered long a few times with who knows what is going on. And she has had her fair share of playing in toilets for awhile until I caught her. LOL! You are so funny! Maybe I can come over one day and Kate and Haven can play. And then Ez and Berk can play and we can go upstairs and nap! That sounds so wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so not ready for the toddler stage! How could he resist lucky charms "target style" Frankly my girls would do the same if I bought sugar cereals! cute photos