Tuesday, October 2

No good deed goes unpunished....

So I finally got a new camera, but I am still learning how to use it, so pics will accompany my posts again someday.

Today my good friend Sara and I had a classic outing at the Laguna Niguel Regional Park. Around 3 p.m. today, my kids and I started feeling restless, so in order to avoid turning into the monster that I become in that "bewitching" afternoon hour where you swear you might kill someone if your husband doesn't walk through the door, I decided to get us out, be a "cool" mom and take my kids to the park. Turns out it worked out for Sara to join me. So we meet there, get Kate and Bennett on their bikes, looking very dorky in their helmets, and we start off. We parked on the Alicia side of the park, so we had to cross that busy street at that cross walk light. Of course our kids don't make it across fast enough in the alloted time for pedestrians, so traffic is still stopped, although the light is green, waiting for our caravan of two moms, two strollers, and two toddlers awkwardly peddling their little legs out. So we get across and start down the sidewalk towards the park entrance. Kate tips on a slant in the sidewalk, crashes onto the pavement, and cuts her knee (not scrapes, cuts--with blood dripping down her leg!). And of course, despite her pain, she doesn't want to leave the park, yet she can't stop crying. So she cries for about 20 minutes, fixated on her "owie", while simultaneously peddling, sniffing, crying, and complaining.
Finally she pulls it together and I think she's in the clear as far as the tears go....enter Bennett. For some reason, Bennett decides he no longer wants to ride his trike. Despite Sara's attempts to reason with him, he cries for about 15 minutes, for reasons we still aren't sure of. We finally make our way to a little park area, where the kids sit and eat treats, go down the slide like once each, tease each other (literally, complete with the "nah, nah, nah, na, nah!") and endanger each other by whipping sticks through the air. Sigh....we finally both leave, only killing an hour or so.

Don't you just hate those outings?? I know we have all had a zillion of them, but it just sucks when you try to do something fun for your kids, even though you would WAY rather be home watching Oprah or reading your People magazine, and it completely backfires with tantrums, sassiness, tears, disobedience, and frustration. Granted Kate was legitimately hurt, I get that, but sobbing on and on is more than I can bear to listen to (I would tell her to stop, and she kept saying, "I can't stop crying mommy!"). Sara and I tried to laugh it off, but I think we both wanted to wring our kids necks!! But you the know the funniest part about this whole story?? Is that I will probably drag my kids on another outing just like that every day this week, and just hope for the best!! Beats sitting at home watching Kate bug the crap out of Ezra!

11 comments:

Wendy said...

This was 100% me at park day. Is it so hard to enjoy yourself at a park or even Disneyland? I mean come on! So, what are you doing tomorrow afternoon? :)

ali said...

Thanks for the preview into life with two children.

You know, after all that, I think I'd rather be at the park than at home at the 'witching' hour with a kid or two hanging on my leg for attention as I try to get dinner on.

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at the "I-can't-stop-crying" comment. When Ed and I were at your house one day, Kate launched into the very same tune while riding her bike out in front. Tears were streaming down her face, but she didn't want to quit riding her bike. "I can't stop crying!" Tears flooded down her cheeks. Jim was stoic. He clearly had witnessed this before. She's quite a dramatic little darling, isn't she?

Sara Decker said...

That is so exactly what happened...so freaking funny. The best and most true part, which is the story of my life right now is that I had no idea why Bennett was crying. So annoying! But, truth be told, i would rather him be outside at a park crying with a friend instead of inside our house where i might do something I regret...ha ha. Did I just say that?

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you sister. I have had sooo many days like that, and I love how well you put the frustration into words. You are the bomb! JEnn

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I always find that I stay somewhere about a half hour too long for them. But am I really out for them? :)

SUMMER said...

My neighbor, Patty always says to me in her Boston accent... "Summer, I am glad I am not in your shoes. Having little ones at home to entertain all day is hard." Then she went on to tell me how much easier it is and how wonderful her kids are now that they are 7 & 8! Can't wait for that!!!

Celia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Celia said...

At least you and Sara had each other. You know the expression "misery loves company?" Well, maybe Bennett was crying because Kate's crying was "calling" to him and suddenly his own misery mysteriously set in.

Melissa said...

Ha ha and more ha. You've got some storytelling skills. My favorite part is the road crossing drama - hilarious.

Emily said...

Oh you tell it so well! We have all had so many of those days! We break our backs for a fun outing and then BACKFIRE! What good moms we are though to sacrifice for those little darlings!