
With such an adventure, why are there no photos of us all over town in this post, you might ask? Because Hollywood sucks, that's why! I was so underwhelmed with the sites. You see the celebrities posing by their stars on t.v., or the red carpet events at the Kodak theater, blah blah, but seeing it today--it was the freaking ghetto!! It was dirty, crowded, HOT (not Hollywood's fault :), and overrated. Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled now, living in such a beautiful area, but man, I was ready to head back to the OC after about 15 minutes.
In the very last line of Melville's book "Bartleby," the author writes, "Ah Humanity!" Well, I found myself thinking that phrase over and over today as I saw some homeless people passionately making out in front of a Starbucks, random people dressed like famous characters who lure you into taking a photo with them ONLY to have to TIP them for that photo (my little Kate was a gold mine--waving and calling out their names (Tigger! Ariel! Shrek!)--she posed with some ratty looking Spiderman and later I saw him take his mask off--yikes, is all I have to say!), and all the other nutjobs that troll the streets of Hollywood, doing who knows what.
BUT, on a lighter note.....I thought Beverly Hills was lovely, although I can no longer associate Beverly Hills with anything but the classic movie "Troop Beverly Hills" (we don't need no stinking patches!). And driving down Rodeo Drive was great, although seeing all those posh shops, I thought, "So close....yet so far away." lol! And the homes up in the hills of Bel Air took my breath away. And when we passed the Chateau Marmont I was floored! That is the celeb hot spot I read about in my People magazine every week--the hotel Lindsey Lohan lives at when she is in town?! It looks so dumpy from the outside!
And finally, to top this ranting and raving off, the two German teenagers only wanted to see.....wait for it......Compton and the GHETTO! But not the Hollywood ghetto.....the hardcore ghetto that Fifty Cent and "Tha Game" sing about in their raps. Hollywood....booo-rrring.....but the drive through Compton? They were were completely awestruck! What the?? Is that how it is with all European teenagers? I wanted to take them to the Getty Museum, and all they wanted to do was just drive the streets of Compton all afternoon! Sigh......"Ah Humanity!"
So Summer, if we head up to the Ivy sometime soon, please bless it doesn't let me down like Hollywood did!



11 comments:
Adrienne! Found you back finally. Holy crud, your kids are so big..(and cute too) Wow, so glad I can finally keep up with you ( I saw Ali's link too) Great. Have to say, you are the funniest blogger.
AMEN!
yeah... welcome to hollywood - like in pretty women... right?
I've been to The Ivy and it is really nice! I had a lot of fun and ended up sitting next to the girl on Law & Order, SVU--Mariksa something, do you know who I mean? She was really nice and was chatting with my sister in law and I. The food is good but I have to admit we went for "star watching"--you know, just to see what all the hype was about.
I don't get it either. The people on "The Hills" must be living in a fantasy land!!! They make it look so appealing up there, but i go and I swear i am driving through the slums of America! Maybe we are going to the pretend Hollywood, maybe there is a secret area that we don't know about!
I think if you know where you're going and you don't expect too much, it can be a lot of fun! Come on Adrienne! Don't you want to go to El Capitan with me to see the Jungle Book next week? I've been itching to get back up there! I am definitely going to try to get up there to see Nightmare Before Christmas this Halloween! You can't just randomly head up and expect to find glamour. You have to heading to Fred Segal, or to Farmers Market. I used to be more adventurous in my past life!!
Yeah Adrienne! The parts you are describing that you went to are a "No- No". If we go to "The Ivy" on Robertson it is in a tucked away, nice part of Beverly Hills with some good shopping too! Oh- and I can't believe those people wanted to go to Compton! What and why?
Okay, ditto on your last 2 posts. I agree completely with you on the Hollywood thing. I had the same thoughts when we went to Wicked there a few weeks ago and all I could think was, "THIS is Hollywood??"
And I am with you on the fall thing too. That's one nice thing about Utah--we get a pretty great fall here. I get giddy about it.
That is not the Hollywood I once knew. As teenagers living in Burbank, we would take the bus to Hollywood and Vine and spend the day going to the taping of one TV show another. There were no homeless people, no tattoos or multiple earrings or scantily clad bimbos. There was Wallach's Music City where we spent hours playing all our favorite sheet music on the piano and buying a few for 50 cents each. There were stores where we could buy old and new movie magazines which wrote about our favorite stars in words and pictures we could now share with our children. We lived in the '50s -- and it was great! The real-life "Leave it to Beaver." I'm sorry it has turned into such a Sodom and Gomorrah! And Compton is definitely not the place to go for a good time!!!!
We're the troop from Beverly Hills! (5,6,7,8)
Shopping is our greatest skills!
(1,2,3,4)
We will work and try real hard!
(5,6,7,8)
Leave behind our credit card!
L-O-V-E that show!
Did the Germans make you blast "Fitty Cent" as you drove your car through the ghetto? Yipes.
So wanna know where Lindsay Lohan hangs out when she ISN'T at the Chateau Marmont? Well, we've had lots of Lindsay sightings around these parts! (Utah)We were biking up Bridal Veil Falls and she was there with her entourage early in the morning with her big sunglasses on. Ben yelled, "Hey, that was Lindsay Lohan!" Who knew? She is up here at rehab and she works out at Golds Gym around 5 PM nightly (or so all the High School boys in my ward tell us--they all work that time into their schedules to go drool at the gym.) So funny .
Post a Comment