Friday, September 7

Classic

You know when you read a book, or see a movie with an obscure, abstract title, you sort of wait for the epiphany of where the title came from, or how it relates to the plot? Keeping that in mind, I just turned the tv on to the Food Network, which is two channels away from Lifetime-Television for Women. Can I just say how absolutely hilarious LifeTime movies are? The titles of the movies themselves, is laugh out loud funny. It's like the network execs sit down and say, "These women don't want to be bothered with anything cryptic, or anything requiring any sort of thought, really....let's just makes this really easy for them." The show currently on is titled, "My Stepson, My Lover." Ha ha!! And Jessica and I still have our all-time favorite Lifetime movie, featuring the magnificent acting skills of Tori Spelling, titled, "Mother May I Sleep With Danger?" Swear on my life.....we still crack up over that one. Honestly, who comes up with these titles? It's like the substance of their movies alone doesn't draw in an audience, so they try to put the whole plot into the title in an attempt to catch your interest...."The Bipolar Nanny Who Slept With Her Rich Employer and then Murdered His Wife Only to Discover It Was Her Birthmother." okay, so I made that one up, but it's not too far off! But even as I sit here, smugly typing this, I know I am a hypocrite--who isn't guilty of sitting through some trashy, cheesy movie on Lifetime? Afterall, the network IS targeted soley to our gender, and I confess, they've suckerd me into sitting through some of the worst television movies I've ever seen, hours of my life I will never get back.
But I'll leave you with a list of titles (all legit, mind you) that are arguably LifeTime's finest, and I dare you, (double dare you!) to try to decipher what they are about:

Another Woman's Husband
Broken Silence: A Moment of Truth Movie
Crimes of Passion: She Woke Up Pregnant
Death of a Cheerleader
Every Mother's Worst Fear
Single White Female 2: The Psycho
Terror in the Mall
The Wives He Forgot
When a Stranger Calls Back
When Danger Follows You Home....and finally,
Too Young To Be A Dad

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

...."The Bipolar Nanny Who Slept With Her Rich Employer and then Murdered His Wife Only to Discover It Was Her Birthmother." OK, this is the best ever!!!! And how far did you have to look to find the titles of all those other dreadful LifeTime movies? You truly are "One of a Kind" -- and that's a compliment. Thanks for making what could be a dull life so full of entertainment!

Anonymous said...

I must say - hearing those titles made me realize that it's been a while since I wasted an afternoon on those Lifetime flicks. Nothing beats the "Mother May I Sleep With Danger." The title that really keeps me wondering is TOO YOUNG TO BE A DAD - I mean, what's that about??

Adrienne said...

Ummm, jess, i'm embarassed to even admit it but I've actually seen that one! lol! The girlfriend and her family want to "terminate" the pregnancy, but the teenage boyfriend and his family want to keep it. Oh the dilemma!

Seriously, I'm pathetic!

Anonymous said...

I have fallen victim to many a thing...reality shows, trashy mags, even romance novels, BUT Lifetime movies have not yet suckered me in. After hearing some of these titles, I may have to start.

by the way...did you just find these titles from your list of DVRed movies you are waiting to watch?

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am not a t.v watcher and have never seen one. Sounds like they are entertaining though!

Jenny said...

I'm with Ali on this...I haven't been suckered in by many lifetime movies. Maybe if I got my lazy butt back to the gym, I would be subjected to them - seeing as they think that people working out in an women's gym all want to watch either A) Lifetime or B) MSNBC. Really? With all my TV watching, you would think that I would have known about "Too young to be a dad" or even "Terror in the mall" but nope. Tracy Gold, Meredith Baxter and Melissa Gilbert haven't been on my TV set in quite some time. This is going to be really long, but I thought I would include some more GREAT titles. (What can I say, everyone's in bed, and I have nothing to blog about myself!)

1. Ghost Prison
2. Secret Past
3. I Me Wed
4. My Name Is Sarah
5. Blind Trust
6. Passion's Web
7. Abducted: Fugitive for Love
8. Framed for Murder
9. Cleaverville
10. A Family Lost
11. All the Good Ones Are Married
12. Point of Entry
13. Storm Cell
14. The House Next Door
15. "Lisa Williams: Life Among the Dead"
16. Intimate Stranger
17. Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy
18. Thrill of the Kill
19. The Wives He Forgot
20. The Mermaid Chair
21. In Her Mother's Footsteps
22. Circle of Friends
23. Proof of Lies
24. 12 Hours to Live
25. Not Like Everyone Else
26. A Girl Like Me
27. Night of Terror
28. For One Night
29. For the Love of a Child
30. The Last Trimester
31. His and Her Christmas
32. Human Trafficking
33. Ambulance Girl
34. Fighting the Odds
35. Murder in the Hamptons
36. "I Married a Princess"
37. Lies and Deception
38. Widow on the Hill
39. Dawn Anna
40. Identity Theft: The Michelle Brown Story
41. Nice Guys Sleep Alone
42. Marry Me
43. The People Next Door
44. End of the Line "Girls' Night Out"
45. "Growing Up Together"
46. "Crisis Counselor"


They really don't leave much to the imagination!

My personal favorite is "Why I wore lipstick to my mastectomy."

And I lied before. I did watch the Mermaid Chair. It was actually really good! I didn't realize it was on Lifetime.

andrea said...

Adrienne, I was just sucked in this weekend to "A Father's Choice" and of course "Custody" I really need to get out more. Oh and don't worry the Lifetime series "Sider Order of Life" is on my Tivo Season Pass.

Jessica Davis said...

Hee. I love this post. The Wives He Forgot!?! I love it.

The McCulloughs said...

Oh Adrienne.. you are too funny! In college, mu roomates and I used to watch these Lifetime shows and love them. Since then I haven't seen one, but probably because my husband would never, EVER sit through one! They are pathetic, yet very intriguing (sp?) Take care! mandy

Christy said...

It has been a long time since I have seen a lifetime movie, but I used to always watch them. Not only are the titles bad, but the acting...oh man.

Kim said...

Lifetime...ouch. My husband too would never watch one. He actually goes so far to tell me, "is this uplifting"? They don't leave much to the imagination.

Anonymous said...

So...you probably didn't know I read your blog huh? Surprise. I tune in every once in a while. Anyway...Kate and I have come up with a game...guess the title of the life time movie. Wow, this can get out of control fast. We should probably send in the titles we've come up with I'm sure the lifetime peeps would use them, because their titles are just as ridiculous.
-Becca
My personal fav. P.E. Coach and Lover