So get this....there have now been over 400 cases of Cryptosporidium reported in Utah, and health officials believe that that statistic is just the tip of the iceberg! They think there are probably thousands of cases that have gone unreported. Public pools have now decided to forbid kids 5 years and younger from even swimming at all, and if that doesn't help, they are going to close all public pools for the rest of the season!! They think that kids in diapers have been the major problem in spreading this parasite (makes sense--thank you Ladera Ranch for enforcing those plastic swim diaper covers!).
Isn't that unbelievable?! I am surprised though that I am the only one in my family (besides Kate) who got this....we all went swimming several times! Anyway, I thought that was fascinating....I'm just glad I am back to my normal self. Now if I can just keep those pesky 10 pounds off!
Tuesday, August 28
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I know we have several friends who think that they may have had it!! I was all scientfic in explaining the serious "cryposporidium" or whatever the dang amoeba is! People thought I was so knowledgeable; and Cam thinks that I learn nothing from this blogging business!! Thanks for teaching me so much so that I can sound smart at least about something!! Glad your feeling better though! So should we not go swimming in our neighborhood pool (Coral Canyon?) Just wondering.. we don't want to get it!! AAARRRGGHH!
Hey Mandy! Seriously, who knew blogging could be so informative?! The KSL article I read said that it was moving through Wasatch County, way up north from you, but you might want to call your association or whoever manages your pool and ask them about it. You can never be too safe, and those two weeks being sick were a nightmare! That would be such a sad way to end your summer!
who would have thought that you would fall victim to a state-wide epidemic of sorts? It's almost like the bird flu.
Oh, and I have an idea for that pesky 10 pounds. Try drinking stream water. Maybe you will contract Giardia. My mom got that once and lost 20 pounds! sad.
Now giardia -- that's one stomach-hating parasite that I can get all up in arms about. I had it my junior year but it didn't make me as sick as Adrienne was and I certainly didn't have the opportunity of losing 10 pesky pounds. But then again, I was only 17, how much unwanted weight could I have had then? Oh, if I had only been grateful back in the day of my pre-college, pre-mission, pre-marriage, pre-offspring, and pre-almost 30 bod. Oh well. I guess all I can say is, enjoy it while you got it Adrienne. You just look cryptosporidium in the face and say, "Now who's had the last laugh, Crypto?" There's gotta be some bright side somewhere.
Do you really think that those plastic covers help?
Post a Comment