Monday, July 16

where's my statue in the park?

Isn't having sick kids fun? To be read sarcastically, although I confess that I secretly enjoy when my kids have fevers because they get so cuddly and calm. Poor little Kate has had diarrhea now for a week. I'm not sure what is causing it, or when it will go away, but it is getting really old. And for one day last week, Kate threw up all over our bed and was fevering all day, and then the same thing for Ez a day or so later.

There are certain moments as mothers when you step outside of yourself, and watch yourself performing certain "duties" of your job, and think "I deserve a medal for this." No really....we all know those moments, but let's list some just to recognize what we moms go through. How about when you are pregnant and retching endlessly, choking on your own bile, several times a day/week for 13 weeks straight (or longer if you're really lucky : ); or when your kids throw up chunks of curdled food and you have to somehow comfort them while simultaneously cleaning up vomit from their hair, carpet, bed, etc.; or when your daughter doesn't quite make it to the toilet and loses it on your bathroom floor only to look at you and say, "it's okay mommy. you can clean it up"; or when you;re up five times a night with a new baby, listening to your husband saw logs next to you while you are so tired you feel like you might collapse. I wish I was a little more gracious about these moments, but I usually always call Jim to sing my own praises....like when both kids are crying, I will call him at work so he can hear the chaos going on and think I am super mom for dealing with it all. But does anyone know my husband?? Who here thinks that Jim, on the other end of the phone, is listening to me describe my own selfless acts and thinking, "wow, my wife is so great. I don't know how she does it!" No, me neither. In fact, I know what is going on. He all of a sudden develops the ability to multitask, and I know he is probably reading an e-mail/document, my voice a faint buzz in the background, only commenting when he hears me pause. And then he waits until he is has given me an obligatory three minutes, and off he goes, back to work, without a second thought of the fifth diarrhea accident I had just dealt with.

Sigh.....

6 comments:

Melissa said...

You are SUPER-mom! I have yet to deal with diarrhea - knock on wood.
I was at Liberty Park yesterday and I think a nice addition would be statues of great mothers lining the Promenade. We'll have to get it commissioned through you though.
I hope the kidlets feel better soon.

Celia said...

Well, don't be so hard on yourself -- your husband is not the only one. If I called Scott in one of those chaotic moments, he'd probably be thinking, "I wish she wouldn't call me when it's so loud," and "Can't she get better control of our kids?" They'll never understand.

p.s. those kate-isms are what make dealing with the diarrhea worth it. so cute! we miss kate!

Wendy said...

I'm laughing so hard right now. That is so true. Being a mom includes so many random tasks. If all the things we do daily don't make us a Saint or get us straight through to the Celestial Kingdom I don't know what will.

ali said...

I told troy that I wanted to trade jobs for a day just so we could see what each other goes through. and his response...."oh, you could NEVER do my job." So there you have it. If we want a statue in the park, we are going to have to erect it ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Adrienne, for brightening my day -- not that that was your goal in this particular instance. But I couldn't quit laughing when I read your description of Jim responding to your "chaotic day." I can see him sitting at his desk pretending to by sympathetic. And one last thought: Kaopectate!

Vicki

Christy said...

I loved reading this post because I am thinking to myself, "yes, I'm not the only one." The worst is when I am trying to get a hold of Brett to have a pity party for myself and he doesn't answer. He has two cell phones and doesn't answer either of them. That's when he gets a message from me, half crying/half yelling, "answer your damn phone!" I'm not sure if I really leave that message or if I'm just thinking it.