Thursday, July 12

Kids these days....

So this post will officially age me, but I don't care. I realize that using the expression "kids these days" means I should just start wearing Lee jeans and holiday sweaters now, but I have to speak out! Tonight I encountered something that really bothered me. I was at Trader Joe's grocery shopping (after having been out of town for three weeks I did not have a single, fresh, preservative-free item in my kitchen), and I noticed a couple walk into the store, probably in their early twenties. I noticed them right away because they were pretty funky looking, both of them in their skinny jeans, her with a nose ring and him following that retarded trend of wearing huge discs in your earlobes. Anyway, they mosey over to the drinks, and grabbed one bottle of Smartwater. Me, being the people watcher that I am, I turned to watch them head up to the register. But instead of paying (gasp!), they just sauntered right out the door, the little thiefs!!
Okay, I realize that stealing is sadly quite trendy these days. I can even understand why a teenage girl with no job, trying to fit in with her friends and the latest style trends, would steal clothes/jewelry. But SmartWater?! Am I to believe that this couple didn't have one measly dollar to pay for their drink? And then I wondered, do they premeditate going in to steal their beverage, or do they steal so often it just goes without saying they will simply pick up what they want, and walk out the door? I find it all so disturbing...i found myself glancing around the store, wondering if I should yell out, "Stop, thief!!" But no one seemed to notice but me. Teenage cleptomaniacs.....kids' these days.

ps. how sad is it that the whole time I watched this theft take place, I thought, "i can't wait toblog about this." i need a life!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Obviously I need a life too seeing as it's midnight, and I'm doing my nightly check of the blogs before I turn in. And about those dumb kids - believe me, I'm ready to bust out the Neil Diamond records and eat dinner at 4:00 as well, because I feel so old too! I just don't get it. I think it all comes down to respect. People don't teach their kids to respect anything or anyone. If they did, they wouldn't steal water "for heaven's sake" (see I AM old) They could drink out of a hose if it was that they were thirsty. It wasn't a homeless woman taking bread to feed her kids. But come to think of it the water I drink IS pretty expensive. Hmmm....

Jessica Davis said...

Okay, speaking of needing a life...I need one because all I ever think of when I come to your blog is your cute little header at the top with your name. So, how does one get one of those??? I need blogger help.

Melissa said...

How could people of any age abuse Trader Joe's like that? I heart Trader Joe's.
I would totally have gone to tell the manager. Tell them to be on the look out for those kids/loser-adults. Then I would go everyday to watch to see when they got caught. How's that for being neighborly? (assuming they live in your vacinity)

kristy said...

hello! glad to see life does pretty much return to usual after the 3 week trip to the parents... i'm about a week away from coming home and have had some mixed feelings! (ie. like i want to move here, yet i miss everyone and everything in calif., i love having family close by, it's going to be hard to leave...)ahhh, such is life though, right? yes! we for sure need to do a pool day when i get back... and as for those crazy kids... what a sad tradegy. it's funny because i seem to be more and more unimpressed with the teens outside the church, but more and more impressed with the ones in it! makes me grateful to raise mine in the church and hope they turn out alright... love your blog, it's so darling and this blog addiction is crazy... look at me!

Anonymous said...

Clearly Smartwater doesn't make you any smarter! Why steal something you can get out of the end of a hose for free!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I think "getting a life" is a fine idea! Call me when you get there....

Sara Decker said...

Why didn't you tell on them? I'm sure i wouldn't have either, i would have been too scared that they would find out where i live and hurt me!!! That is sad though.

Anonymous said...

I'm suprised you didn't say "HEY! PUNK I'M GONNA KICK SOME @#$$% IF YOU DON'T GET BACK HERE!" .... lol j/k. That would have been an even better blog. :) But seriously kids suck!

Anonymous said...

Hey- These kids now a days. I am scared for our kids. What will be going on then? You should have narked on them. That would have been classic. Do they really think that no one will see them? So- thank gosh that our babys are finally sleeping through the night huh? It is about time. What did Carruth say about the milk thing? I felt like I started Berkley on regular milk to soon too. I think she is doing ok but she has been spitting up a little more now. Who knows! Last but not least... I like your mom! It is all about digging for gold with clothes! She is a woman after my heart... or maybe I am after hers!

ali said...

see...when blog ideas come to you during the day and in your sleep, you know you are an addict!