Wednesday, July 11

Be Neighborly.

So I have a confession to make....Jim and I have become white trash. Our Mazda, which as many of you know is NOT so easy on the eyes, has been parked on our curb now for a couple of months. Jim has taken pictures of it to sell it on Craig's List, and has given flyers to his brother Mike to pass out at work, but we haven't really been too proactive in getting that eyesore off of our property.

A few weeks ago, a friend of ours drove the car home one night, and when he returned it back to its place on the street the next morning, he heard our neighbors complaining, saying things like, "Oh look, it's back." Then Jim returned home from our trip to Utah to discover that his piece of crap Mazda (which he maintains only looks bad but drives perfectly fine) was no longer parked along the street where we left it. After some searching, he discovered it had been towed. And when he went to pick it up, he had to pay almost $400 to get the car back!!! What a joke! I guess any car that hasn't moved in 72 hours is subject to being towed. Well, who knew Jim had a vindictive streak because he brought that piece of tin back and parked it directly in front of the neighbors who he assumed had it towed. And he just keeps moving fthe car rom one curb in front of their house to the other, every 3 days.
Today I returned home from some errands, and I noticed a note on the windshield. I did a few double takes before hopping out to retrieve the note, because I'm so embarassed to be connected to this Mazda/neighbor scandal. Here is what the note said: "Be Neighborly. Please park your car in front of your own house!" (complete with underline and exclamation point!).
Okay, I admit, I wouldn't particularly like it if some trashy looking car was parked in front of my house, even if it was across the street. But wouldn't the "neighborly" thing to do instead of just having it towed, be to kindly ask us to move it into our driveway before just having it hauled off to the tune of 400 bucks?! I mean, seriously. In some ways that note only makes me want to leave it there for another month....for that price tag, let them feel some rage because I know Jim did when he had to go pick up and pay for the damn car!! Eye for an eye.....how mature. Oh well.... so here's to being neighborly!!

8 comments:

Christy said...

It's true, the neighborly thing to do would be to talk to you about it first. Although we had a real eye sore parked by our house for awhile and it was so annoying. This car was bad, the mazda is nothing like this. Of course it bugged me but I never did anything about it. Eventually it was moved and I haven't seen it since. Maybe another neighbor had it towed! $400 bucks though? I think I would have told them to keep it.

Anonymous said...

Is the car worth $400? I'm suprised he didn't say "keep it" - j/k no but seriously that is a lot of money.

Jenny said...

So sorry to hear about the $400 bucks. I would be so pissed at the neighbors. Knowing me, I would think of a thousand things to do to get them back, and then do none of them because I have to live next door to them for the next 20 years. I can somewhat relate because a house on our street looks like the family from Malcolm in the Middle lives there. In the stake directory for a couple of years it was listed as my address. A couple of times, people showed up there by mistake - or called me on the street to say, "Ummm, I was just double-checking your address..." Nice way of saying, "This couldn't be your house!" Good luck with the neighbors. I would probably try to bring them cookies and say, We're trying to sell it, do you know anybody that wants to buy it?

Jessica Davis said...

I love your stories. We just sold my old Mazda not even 2 weeks ago. Do you remember it from high school?? My red car? Yep, it has survived in our family till just a couple of weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a quick listen to Toby Keith's "White Trash with Money"is in order.

1. The Mazda is an albatross around your neck. Unload it and move on.
2. In the unlikely event that you actually need your neighbor's cooperation someday, pissing them off isn't really the smartest move you can make. Neighborhood emergency, missing child, I'm out of sugar..... You know the drill.
3. Don't be stupid!

Brad said...

If things keep progressing let me know and we can bring over our old RV and move it a few feet every 3 days. that ought to really get the juices flowing.

Brad

ali said...

I am laughing because we just got turned into "the association" for having all three of our cars scattered in front of our house. What gives?

Sara Decker said...

I know this has been on here for a long time, but I thought i would inform you that Monica and my mom wanted me to tell you to keep the blogs coming, they think you are hilarious!