Thursday, July 26

Crypto Sporidium


Yes, it's true. I have a parasite. A disgusting, living organism inside my body called Crypto Sporidium. Incredibly resistant to cholorine, this particular parasite often lives in pools, lakes, streams, and other bodies of water, and I hate to even type it, it is passed through fecal matter. Ugggh.


It all started last Saturday. I got up and ran six miles, feeling like a champ. Took Kate to a birthday party where I started to feel a little nauseous (I'm going to type queasy from now on because I refuse to type nauseous over and over), but I thought I just needed to eat something. Had a hot dog....didn't to much. So later that afternoon, we went to a baptism, followed by dinner at a friend's house. I kept feeling more and more sick, but being the fool that I am, I just kept feeding my nausea. Bad idea.....we drove home and I went straight upstairs to bed, so queasy I wanted to cry. I took a Unisom thinking I might just be able to sleep my woes away.....but that only worked from 9-11 when I awoke in a delirium of cramps, pain, nausea, and Unisom-induced sleepiness. What happened for the next six hours probably goes without explanation. I finally took my pillow and slept on the bathroom floor, between the waves of diarrhea and nausea that I was going through. One would think that at some point there is just no liquid left to be expelled, but I now know first hand it just keeps coming, and coming, and coming.

So finally the light of day broke, and I was almost in hysterics I felt so sick. After a blessing, some pacing, lots of crying, some attempts at sleeping, I decided we had to go to UrgentCare. Like a dog marking its territory on a tree, I left my mark by vomiting right there in their parking lot. Well, no big surprise the UrgentCare doctor sent me straight over to the ER. They gave me two bags of fluid, Zofran, pain medicine, took blood, urine, and stool samples (pleasant), and sent me home two prescriptions and as high as a kite. I barely remember getting home....but when i woke up the next morning, I did not feel better. I was so weak and dizzy and I still could keep anything in or down, so back we went to the ER. Two more bags of fluid, more Zofran, more pain medicine, and a diagnosis. Along with finding an amoeba in my blood, they also let me know I had developed a urinary tract infection. Oh the joys of a parasite! And here I am, still laying on my couch like a limp noodle, no good to anyone. When I'll feel better.....I have no idea. But seeing as some of my unpleasant symptoms are still occuring several times a day, it's not looking too good.

So you know the expression "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Well, in my attempt to do that, I have discovered in the midst of my misery, that I am grateful for certain things. So thank you Crypto Sporidium, for helping me realize a few things: thank you clean, soft bed and sheets, thank you roll after roll of toilet paper and for a toilet that flushes over and over again, thank you Crypto Sporidium for helping me lose six lbs. in just five days (sure it won't last, but I'll enjoy it while I'm down), thank you hospital staff and doctors that did not dismiss a single one of my syptoms/concerns, thank you modern medicine, thank you Dilodin (sp?)--a potion that made me all warm and fuzzy inside and took me to a land where I forgot all my troubles....at least for a few hours, thank you Jessica for providing all of my fellow bloggers with a visual of how disgusting my parasite is, thank you husband who had to literally help me get dressed and wait on me hand and foot, thank you John and Tiff for watching my kids, thank you mom for flying out on a moment's notice, coming to our rescue and being so incredibly helpful with me and my kids, exhausting as it has been, and finally....one big thank you to everyone who thought of, prayed for, called, prepared meals for, and visited us. In times like these, it ceases to amaze me how much love and support surrounds me, and what wonderful family and friends I have.


So Crypto Sporidium, even in my decrepit state, my blog.......must.........go..........on.


17 comments:

Jessica Davis said...

I think maybe only you could write a very descriptive story about stool gone bad and turn it into a gratitude list. Seriously though, I'm so sorry you've had to go through that! But I'm glad people have been so helpful to you. Get better soon!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I don't do that too often when hearing about peoples potty troubles, but that was dang funny. it's nice to have you back on line. We've missed you.

Celia said...

Well, I'm glad, from a very selfish standpoint, that your blogging is back since you're probably one of the VERY few who looks at our blog. So, my hat is also off to Crypto Sporidium (at least for it's going away part, not so much for the puking and diarrhea part), but mostly for making me grateful that you actually read my blog.

Brad said...

Adrienne,

I've heard about your troubles. I hope you feel better soon.

Julie

Jenny said...

You forgot to thank the people who toilet papered your house repeatedly. I'm not sure why, but it should be said!!! I hope Mr. Crypto Sporidium is on his way soon!

ali said...

I can't believe all that you've been through! You poor thing! I hope you will be feeling on the up and up soon because, like celia, I need your blogging commitment! Ha.

Anonymous said...

Wendy and I were wondering where all your lovely posts had gone, I am soooo sorry you have had such a miserable experience. I hope it goes away soon and the six pounds stay off, one of the few benefits of being so sick. YUCK! I am glad you were diagnosed and aren't still trying to fight the unknown monster. I was LOL while reading your blog so at least you still have a great sense of humor. Jenn KEller

Anonymous said...

Sara told me about this horrible sickness you had! So- please forget my comment on why you had not been updating. This sounds awful and I am glad you are feeling better! I was laughing at the six pound weight loss b/c I was telling Sara that would be the ONLY good thing to come out of this. Glad you realized this too. Although it probably was not even worth going through all this! It sounds bad! Let me know if you need anything! Can I bring dinner by? I can do a mean Pick Up Stix To Go!!!

kristy said...

Oh my gosh, Adrienne. I am so sorry!! I had salmonella poisoning TWICE which landed me in the ER both times, so I know exactly what you are going through. Yuck! Please, let me bring you dinner... I can't believe you've been going through all of this. I'm going to call you tomorrow. Get lots of rest and enjoy having your feet up!

Sara Decker said...

Thank you for the update, I've been scared to call. I just picture you tying to take a nap and then me ruining it. 6 pounds...wow, maybe I can borrow your mr. crypto for a week!!! I know that is not even funny after what you have been through, sorry! I hope to see you soon, call me so I don't have to worry about waking you up!

Melissa said...

So glad you are back. As one of your biggest fans I was going into depression seeing your lack of blog updates. To hell with you Crypto Sporidium! Hope you are feeling better.
And Celia - I look at your blog.

Tracy said...

That picture does make me sick inside... i am so sorry... i hate getting those symptoms that you got. They are the worst! So is their anyway to avoid this parasite... besides avoiding the water?

Emily said...

Adrienne - how awful. The picture makes me nauseous just looking at it. Enjoy the 6lb. loss and get better soon:) Hope you don't mind me taking a look at your blog - we're family, right?! (Jessica's sister Emily)

Anonymous said...

That picture is crazy!! I am so sorry you are so sick.
I hope you are feeling better

Brooke Wilkins said...

Hey adrienne

this is brooke goodsell. I found your blog. I love it! Bret and I are moving back to california in a week! We are so excited! Your kids are too cute!

Brooke

Unknown said...

So sorry for you A! What a nightmare! I feel bad that I wasn't around to help out, but I was glad to hear that Blair had some good practice playing "Dad" and that he actually changed a diaper. When are you going to be all better?

Anonymous said...

Adrienne- SCARY! My kids gulp up pool water and ocean water all the time! NASTY! I am so sorry to hear the misery you went through!