Saturday, November 29

Happy Thanksgiving!

So Thanksgiving this year was very low key, and very fun. Our friends Christy and Brett took us in, the two families who weren't traveling, and we had a wonderful time. Christy did all the work, and everything was so delicious! The kids ate outside, so it was just us four adults sitting at the table, enjoying our food and some good conversation. Even though we missed our families (well, i did being a sentimental girl and all), we felt like the holiday was celebrated just perfectly for our life right now. It is so nice to have such good friends around us, and I have really felt that the last ten days with everyone helping me out with my kids.

But I did manage to put a serious damper on Thanksgiving. The Saturday before I had little Ivy, Jim and I went and did some power shopping at the mall. We exchanged baby gifts, bought some new clothes for everyone in the family, returned and re-bought coordinating outfits for our xmas pictures, etc. We seriously did some major shopping, and had all of our loot in one giant Old Navy bag. Well, then little Ivy came into the world, and our house was a wreck. So while Jim took the kids to church two days after we got home from the hospital, I decided to be productive and clean up our bedroom. In the corner of our room, we had a bunch of bags that were stuffed with stuff to be recycled, like the plastic over our dry cleaning, some plastic hangers, etc. Well, as unbelievable as it is, I somehow took the recycleable bags, AND MY GIANT OLD NAVY BAG, and I threw it all in the recycling bin!!!!! The entire bag with everything in it! i still can't even think about it, it makes me want to throw up. I hate to even write it, but as I was carrying the bags out to the recycling bin, i thought, "I wonder if there is anything in the bottom of these bags that shouldn't be thrown away." But no, I just kept thinking how stoked Jim would be that I cleaned up our disaster of a bedroom. I don't know how I didn't notice it was full! It's a sickening thought....I think I probably threw away $300-400 worth of clothes. We're talking three sweaters from Old Navy, an entire outfit for Ezra, some clothes for the girls, a pair of brand new PEDIPEDS--all in the trash!!
We were getting ready to go to Christy's house for Thanksgiving dinner when I asked Jim where all the stuff was. He said, "It's upstairs....in a giant Old NAvy bag." My stomach completely dropped, and I said in complete disbelief, "I thought that bag was all recycled stuff....and I threw it away." Jim was not amused, to say the least. I was crying and shaking and Kate was trying to convince us both that it was just an accident and not to worry. Oh man....anyway, it definitely put a huge damper on our Thanksgiving dinner, and I still want to throw up every time i think about it. Ugh....how could I be so careless???? I'm blaming it on just being home from the hospital for two days, being distracted with a newborn, etc. But still....I'm so retarded!!!

On a lighter note, here are a few photos of our Thanksgiving celebration.


Ivy knocked out from all the tryptophan in that turkey. :)




Ezra, Avery, Eliza, and Kate

Our gracious hosts, Christy and Brett.

Ivy got hungry a little later, sucking on my cheek. :)

And now it is Christmas time already! We have our outside lights up already....and now I need to muster up a little more holiday spirit to decorate the inside of our house. But my mom and dad will be here tomorrow....a perfect task to enlist their help!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

that really sucks about the old navy bag! that is so something I would do! I'm sorry!!!
Ivy is sooo adorable though!!

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

Who needs new clothes and cute pedipeds anyway? Just think how excited someone else at the recycling plant might be right now. They are saying their prayers of Thanksgiving because they didn't have any clothes or baby shoes...and Waa Laa, what do you know--some just showed up on the conveyer belt!

Christy said...

Okay one cute thing from that horrible Old Navy bag incident is when you said, "clothes for the girls." That is so cute "the girls." Don't you love it that you can say that? Okay, that doesn't really help. I still feel so sick about that for you. But it was still a fun night. So glad you guys came over!

UreFam said...

You are not alone. I threw away a trash bag (that Shem put by the trash) when he had actually just cleaned out his car. The BOM on CD, his Ipod, his new jacket...still makes me sick, but we're ok. I too wondered what was in the bag, and didn't check. AH well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving for someone with a 1 week old - minus the trashing of the goods. Now that I'm home and no one is throwing up in my house - I'd like to help you out... let me know what I can do, since I was USELESS when you had your baby.

jess

Roney Family said...

P.S. hope you dont mind if I check in on your blog every now and then!!

meeshw said...

AAhhh...I feel your pain...I too would have felt sick inside, infact I was sick inside when I was reading...
By the way...the handouts for the ward activity were awesome! Thank you for that! I will be in touch...
Glad the rest of you Thanksgiving was great!

Heidi said...

Congratulations, Adrienne! (Not on the trashing of the bag, but on Ivy's arrival.)

I love that you named her Ivy--just so you know Grandma Hazel would NOT have approved.

When I told her we were going to name our Ivy, well, Ivy, she said, "You girls all pick the strangest names for your babies. Why can't you just pick a cute name like Kate?"

I think Ivy is cute, despite The Haze's interference. And your Ivy is BEAUTIFUL!

Melissa said...

oh my crap. you don't need to throw up, I already did for you. that is the worst! I am sure some really poor family who doesn't have any clothes found the bag before it made it's way to the dump/recycling center. a tax write off! you are secret santa! tis the season!