Sunday, February 24

How sad....

I spent this weekend skiing up in Big Bear with my Young Women. We had a great time....the snow was lovely, the sun was shining, and the girls were really entertaining. As was I, although I'm not sure any of the girls appreciated me singing, "What's new pussy cat, woooahooo" complete with the Elvis hip swivel. But that's neither here nor there.

I spent the day skiing with my Laurel Keileigh, who is 17. She is from Utah so we share a special bond. :) We were the only ones skilled enough to take on the black diamonds (ha ha....but it's actually true) so we stayed together all day. Anyhoo, most of our lift rides we were paired up with random strangers, in order to get 4 people on every chair going up. Well, on one lift ride we got paired up with these two hilarious guys. One was in the the ugliest sweater I have ever seen, underneath the tightest snow pants/jumpsuit I have ever seen. Seriously, it took all of my self control not to take my ski pole and give him a "pizza cutter." And the other guy was wearing a ski jacket that was straight out of the 80's--multi-colored neon swatches all over it. They were hilarious--and were dressed that way just to be jerks. So I was teasing them about their get-ups, as if I had known them for years, and I asked them how old they were. They told us they were 21. So then I asked them how old they thought Keleigh and I were....I know guys LOVE that game! One of the guy looks at us, and says, "She's (Keleigh) about our age, and you....I'd say around 26 or 27." Ouch!! I was so bummed that he basically guessed my age! I am 28, and if I'm being totally honest, I thought he was for sure going to say at least 23!! And then I had to wonder, what ages me? My face? Wrinkles? Mannerisms? Clothes? What, dammit, what?? :)

And you want to know the most pathetic part? In situations like that, after I can't pass as some cool cat teenager, I then drop the whole "mom" card, trying to get the "No way, you're a mom! You seem way too young and hip for that!" comment. :) I wish I was joking. After that guy pretty much guessed my age, I said, "Yep, I'm 28. I have two kids--I'm a grown up!" (I know! I'm completely shameless!). And to add insult to injury, the two guys didn't actually give me any of above mentioned "cool mom" comments, but in my defense, we had reached the top of the lift and we all got off and went our separate ways.

But seriously, i was depressed. I have to work on accepting the fact that I am NOT a crazy teenager, or a young twenty-something anymore!! It's only going to get more and more painful the longer I resist, like that mom on Mean Girls who thinks she's hip like her teenage daughter. But don't worry, I reestablished my coolness with my Young Women when we got back to the cabin and I busted out the dance to "Soulja Boy." Put that in your teenage pipe and smoke it!!

18 comments:

Brooke Wilkins said...

THat stinks, but you know what, everyone ALWAYS guesses that I am older than I am, so basically when I am 30 I will be looking like I am oh well lets say 45 or something. Sad I know. Anyways park tomorrow, I am for sure in! Keileigh is the best!

Sara Decker said...

That's funny. At least you're not turning the big 3-0 this year. Yikes. You will always be young and hip...those guys wish they were your age, that's why they were wearing 80's clothes.

Celia said...

Aids -- be proud of the fact that you're not a crazy teenager anymore. Seriously, would you like to go back to being 17, or even 21 for that matter? Not me. No sirree.

And I'll tell you why -- we were obnoxious (even more so than we are now.) Case in point, I called Dad last night and he said they were watching family videos (they were desperate -- their satellite was out) and he said, "We're actually just watching you and your stupid sister." LOL! Don't worry -- he was talking about both of us.

We really were HUGE dorks. Seriously, I would never go back. I'm still trying to recover from the dork days. So don't look back Aids, you can never look back.

Heidi said...

You crack me up, A. I would never want to be a teenager again!

Would you classify yourself as a "high-school peaker"?

PS--Those boys don't know what they're talking about. You are hip, young and sexy. And you have sweet dance moves.

Wendy said...

Soulja Boy? You kill me. I know how you feel. I'm so sad that I look my age at best. Once I'm done having kids I swear I'm going to buy my 17 year-olds body back.

Rob Judd said...

hahahahahha, you are hilarious! I can just imagine you saying all of this. I think you should look into writing a book?
ps. those guys are idiots!

Melissa said...

"You and your stupid sister". Love it.
At least they didn't think you were her mom or something horrific like that.
Please put a video of you doing Soulja Boy on your blog. Pretty please? Now watch me do...crank dat soulja boy

Christy said...

This is so funny. I used to get comments all the time about how I looked too young to be a mom. Now that I'm thinking about it I don't remember the last time someone said that to me! I guess it's time to embrace it. Maybe.

Celia said...

Oh yeah, Melissa's comment reminded me of the time I was shopping with Scott's sister, Kate. She was 17 and I was 26. We ran into an old (albeit weird) acquaintance of hers and he seriously asked her if I was her MOM! Seriously, I was 26. That was only three years ago. I'll give you one fat guess what that did for my self-esteem (actually it didn't hurt that much because the kid was seriously weird -- at least that's what I tell myself).

Two Ladies and No Baby said...

"I'm not a regular mom, I'm a cool mom!"

-Regina George

Adrienne said...

Regina George! Holla, mean girls! That is so classic, Becca or KAte, whoever wrote that!

And to clarify, I don't want to be a teenager again. I just wouldn't mind being in my early twenties for life. Heids, a "high school peaker?" Ouch. I don't think that is what I'm trying to say, but I guess I am just around teenagers in YW's so much, that their age is sort of my frame of reference of coolness.

And geesh, Cels, your killing me with your first comment--we weren't THAT dorky!! At least I wasn't. :) I didn't think I was the pinnacle of cool or anything, but you made it sound like we spent every Saturday night playing "cards with the tards!" I would like to think that Dad was watching the section of the home movie where we were like 10 playing "Cooking in Da Hood" or whatever that ridiculous skit was we filmed ourselves doing...but not us in high school!

I don't know, I've realized that I suffer from the worst case of "the grass is always greener itis". My teenage years--loathed most of them, but now in my mind, they seemed so rosy and carefree. Pregnancy--absolute hell, but even now I picture myself glowing as I nest and grow a life inside of me. :) It's painful really, to always idealize everything. But perhaps this comment on my OWN page should have been another post. :)

Jessica said...

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Just tell yourself that it was your confidence that gave your age away - that's what I tell myself.... bring on the eye cream!!

Heidi said...

Just to clarify--I would never classify you as a high school peaker. I just love that term so much I throw it in whenever I can. When I taught high school, I kind of thought of myself as one of the kids. So much so that I've joined the alumni group for PGHS. Seriously.

And I'm like you. I keep thinking, "I should have another baby." Like I'm not already completely loony with my three. But I'm sure the fourth one would be no trouble at all. Riiiight.

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

Bloggers unite! Hey! I was so glad to see you on my blog today! Email me sometime and we can talk about Boyd Bastian and which order processor he's now dating. I love you and your sis--always have. Stay in touch

theobaldjenna@yaho.com

Jenny said...

Oh Adrienne, How did I go most of my life not knowing you? I go to my "laughing place" whenever I'm with you. This blog is hilarious. You knew that this was coming though. After your dinner at CF last year, I would have thought that you realized you weren't a teenager. I guess it took another year for it to sink in.
I guess it's better than being mistaken for a twin of your sister who is 10 years older than you! Yeah, tell me about it. I was SO depressed for a while after that. At that point, I was only 25. Did I really look 35? So Sad. Sad, but sometimes the truth hurts.
BTW, you definitely need to go into settings and have your comments emailed to you. Sometimes that's the only way I feel right about writing naughty things on people's blogs. I don't want everyone to know the "real" me.

Jenny said...

Most of the time when you see a "comment removed by author" it's me. :)

Jennifer said...

I am slow on reading blogs these days, but this is sooo funny because I have had the same thing happen to me. I think when we work in yw we think we are staying young, but really we are just looking older to the young girls as we attempt to act young. I am looking 30, hating it, but finally accepting the fact that I am no longer a new young mom, freak, Madison starts kindergarden next year, yipes!

Kim said...

At least you don't get mistaken for a YW when you're their leader! Oh yes, I have a ring on my finger, AND I'm carting around a kid, but I STILL get ... 'so are you a mia maid or laurel?' :) They taught me the soulja boy dance to! I'm SO bad, but we'll have to bust it out on Ellen!