Aloha all! So we are finally back from Maui, and I am exhausted!! I finally took the plunge and decided, "I am mother, hear me roar!" and decided to fly alone with my two kids. Turns out the flight was really not that bad! I gave Kate a little Dramamine, Ez took his usual nap, and they both slept for 2 1/2 hours on the way there and back. Luckily, i was able to get a row with an extra seat so Ezra didn't have to sit on my lap the entire flight. The flight wasn't without some hiccups....when I tried to get Kate to take her Dramamine, she gagged on the taste of it and threw up all over herself. So she spent the flight in her panties. And on the way home, she wet her pants (just a little bit :). But all in all, the flight over turned out to be no big deal.
So we got there Sunday, and hit the ground running. We did the usual Hawaii things--lots of fun at the beach, swimming, shopping, Hula dancing shows, etc.
We spent Halloween in Lahaina, which had a whole Halloween festival going on. The activities started with a parade for kids, but as night fell, the parade turned into more of a Mardi Gras atmosphere. When I saw people passing out beads, I knew it was time to end our PG-rated fun before it turned R-rated! Why do people use Halloween as a free pass to dress like skanks and act like idiots? But the kids had fun, and some of the costumes were quite clever. And we even saw Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) walking the parade...I guess the Lahaina Halloween fun is a bigger deal than we knew.
Things were going great until the end of the week, and then it went downhill from there. All of the kids started getting sick....at one point, 5 of the 8 kids there were burning up with fevers. It was so sad to see all these lethargic toddlers, breathing heavily. After little sleep and sick kids, i was definitely ready to come home. On the flight home, Kate's fever got up to 104.6! But we are back now, still sick, unfortunately, and glad to be home. I know a week in Maui sounds like bliss, but being there alone without Jim was a lot of work--I feel like I need a vaction now! Seriously, I'm exhausted. And the craziest part is that it is November already, and we leave to Utah for Thanksgiving in less than three weeks! But we had a great time, and I'm glad we went. But next time I go, here's hoping it can maybe be with Jim, and no kids! :)
Sunday, November 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





11 comments:
Oh Adrienne, You are a super mom! That would be way more work than play. The pics of your kids are so adorable. Looking at the pics made me miss Hawaii so much! Glad you guys had fun. but sorry that your kids are sick! :( No fun
Let's hear it for self sacrafice in the name of vacation.
Yeah, you guys look pretty tan in those photos . . . I love the kids dressed up on Halloween costumes in Hawaii. It just seems wrong, you know? Not as wrong as having to fly home with a feverish baby, but still . . .
So AZ, I guess you will be headed into Carruth's office today? Poor kids! There is so much sickness going around right now. Both my girls are on anti-biotics! What the??? The trip looked fun anyway! Nice bod in your bikini. What's up Mrs. Six pack! I loved Kate's leopard costume!!! Where did you find that? And what was Fraiser doing in Maui on Halloween? So funny!
Cute pictures, looks fun, but I do have to say i'm a fan of vacationing without kids...even without a husband worked out good for me!! ha ha. Get everyone over there feeling better so we can hang out sometime this year!!! It has been too long.
I always need a vacation after I vacation with my kids. It is fun, but never relaxing. I'm glad you're back. Get your kids healthy and then we will hang out. Avery wants to play with "Kate Mimmerman."
I need more of your humor and sarcasm in my life. I seriously am a BIG fan of yours. I love that you say you need a vacation after that vacation.
That was wierd... the fabulous comment above was from me... not sure why it came up like that.
I am so impressed that you made it home alive! We went to the beach on Saturday and after rescuing jack from the water 600 times, I can see what you mean....you deserve a vacation after your vacation!
Yeah, your plane rides there and back with an extra seat? Please. Good thing I had to "talk" you into coming. I had no extra seat, didn't sit anywhere near Mom and Dad/Blair and Kim, and still had 7 hour car rides to and from SLC to boot!
Even though we're still nursing our sick kiddies back to health, seeing your pics made me sort of miss it already. Okay, not quite miss it exactly but the warm weather at least!
Smith fam RULES! I love the pic of Kate on the beach "superstar" style. And why is Ez the cutest little guy ever? Why?
Post a Comment