Thursday, August 9

So You Think You Can Dance....dance....dance

So my sister-in-law Kim got tickets to the show, so Blair, Kim and I set off for LA this afternoon. It was filmed at the CBS studios in LA, and thanks to traffic, it took us almost two hours to get up to there. So when we arrived only 15 minutes early, we got in a line that was for the "non-VIP" holders, or the "riff-raff", as I liked to call us. There were maybe 30 of us waiting to get in, and we were about halfway back in the line. It was starting to look pretty dim after they let in the VIP's as to whether or not we were even going to make it in at all. A studio employee came out and said she had one single ticket, so I looked at Blair and Kim and I was like, "See ya!" So I went ahead to see what I could see, and a few minutes later they ended up getting in to. But Kim got a better seat in the other rafters, and Blair and I sort of had an obstructed view from the rafters we were sitting in. But it was still fun to be so up close and personal.
Anyway, on to the important stuff. They did not tell us who got voted off! It was a rip off! Of course, in shows past, whenever the audience found out the results, it got leaked on the internet, so Nigel explained to the audience that since the show isn't going to air until Monday night, they were not going to tell us who was leaving the show. They were basically going to stage that part of the show. So they had the three girls (Sabra, Lauren, and Lacey) line up, and they did three seperate takes where each girl had to act like she was the one that went on the final four. Then they did the same thing with the guys...it was so cheesy to see them jumping up and down, faking it!! And we all clapped and cheered every time. It was gay. Then after all of those acting stunts, Kat Deely told us that we had to leave the stage and they were going to lock down the studio. They didn't really explain it, but we gathered that since the final four had to prepare for the finale show on Wed., they couldn't wait until Monday to film who got kicked off because that wouldn't leave the final four enough time to learn all their routines. So they were going to film the results tonight, but in private. We assumed they were just going to dub in audience reaction from another show. I'm not sure how they were going to do it...but the fact is, we didn't get to see an authentic result show! We kind of figured beforehand that they weren't going to tell that many people the outcome of the show so far in advance before it actually aired, but it was still a bummer.
And we found out that the ensemble number that they all perform in at the beginning of the show was actually filmed this morning at 8:30 a.m. So we didn't get to see that. And then they showed some African dancers, and that must have been filmed this morning as well because we didn't get to see that either. So what we did see was the six dancers do their solos, five guys doing a Krumping routine, and all the fake takes of who goes on to the finale. It was actually a little disappointing when you compare what we saw to other Thursday night result shows that have great musical guests AND authentic results! But it was still a lot of fun. We saw all the judges, and some of the choreographers like Wade Robson, Dan Karaty, Lil C, and Tony whatever (who got up and left before the show ended and they let Blair go down and fill his seat, right behind Wade). We also saw, up close and personal, Benji, Dominic, Hawk (Hok?), Jesus, Anya, Faina, and curly-haired Jaime. Some random facts about the show that I learned from taping:
Kat Deely is not that tall.....everyone else is just that short!
Lacey is a little bigger than she looks on t.v. (weird since cameras add 10 lbs.), but Sabra is even more muscular in real life.
The SYTYCD studio is much smaller than it looks, which was kind of nice because even the crappy seats we had really weren't that crappy.
Mary Murphy is actually more svelte than she looks in real life, which kind of explains why she always dresses so sassy.
Their solos were so cool to see in real life, and Neil is so hot!
So I think that is about it....it was a lot of fun, regardless of what all went down. And then when we left, we were walking through The Grove shopping center, and guess who we saw? Rihanna, the singer. "Under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh". She was sitting with a friend, trying to be incognito with a black hat and shades on. But she had a young, blonde woman sitting at a table right next to her, doing nothing but observing. You could tell she was simply there to keep anyone away that tried to approach her, but she looked so normal. It would have been pretty obvious Rihanna was famous if she had some 300 lb. black bodyguard right next to her. We were pretty star struck, just watching her eat her meal with a girlfriend. So that was cool. All in all, it was a fun trip up to LA, complete with a celebrity sighting. Now I just hope Sabra and Neil are the final two (even though I think Lacey will be the final girl) and Neil wins the show (although I think it will be Danny). Just my prediction! Thanks Kim, for getting the tickets and for inviting me!

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Neil is SO hot! I hope he wins just for that. I agree that Lacey will be the final girl, but I am torn up about who will be the final boy. I want Neil to be but I'm afraid it may be Danny. I know there has been some trash talking about Lacey's modesty in the past but I've alwasy just brushed it off. "Costume, costume, costume." But after last night, I can't do that anymore. Did you see her gold "top" for her opening intro dance? What in the world?!?! Anyway, thanks for sharing all the details. I sounds like it was so much fun. Especially since you hadn't been out in so long. haha

Jenny said...

I felt like I got ripped off just reading your post. Sounds like fun though. It took me a second to figure out what SYTYCD was. Duh! I have them recorded. Maybe I'll catch up before the finale.

ali said...

Were you really home by 9:48? I love the recap of the show. Sorry you didn't get to see some awesome performer like you were hoping. I loved all the insider insights. Troy and I swore that Kat was 7 feet tall, but I looked it up online and discovered she is only 5 foot 9. Those other dancers must be tiny!

Adrienne said...

Yes I was really home by 9:48, and we stopped at The Grove to stalk Rihanna and stopped for dinner. I'm telling you--we got the shaft! When Kat told the audience to leave the studio, I felt like saying, "Is she talking to us? I just got here!" Oh well....i guess i'll be surprised on Monday night.

Jessica Davis said...

I am still soooo jealous you went (even if some of it was "gay"). Mark and I can't stand to look at Kat--have you ever noticed how crazy crooked her nose is? It hurts to look at it.

And very cool celebrity sighting. The best I've seen here is Meredith from the Office.

Melissa said...

You've seen Meredith fromthe office Jessica? Did she flash you guys? Ha! Love her.

A - this is way too cool of a post. You did get the shaft - but it's alright because I will fly down next year and we will go to one of the earlier shows in the season.
I love Sabra. I love Wade Robson. I would have made Blair switch with me and then talked Wade into doing a workshop in Utah. Then an exhibition. At my house. Livin la vida loca in LA, Smiths!

Tracy said...

I love that show... Joe and I almost went last summer, but didn't make it in time. I'm glad to know now that the results were staged. Was Mary Murphy's laugh more annoying in perosn than on tv?

SUMMER said...

Where are the pictures? I am so glad you went... how fun! And yes- that place in my blog is Frosted Cup... I have been 3 times this week too! What is the problem with us?

Adrienne said...

I have no photos because they searched your purse and you weren't allowed to bring in any cameras or cell phones. Hence, no photos. But you know, while reality stars are fun to see, it is not quite the same as seeing a big-name celebrity. Like Benji was walking all around, almost showing off, and I don't know, I thought it was kind of funny. And some people were getting Jaime's autograph, but she was standing outside with us, waiting to go in, for crying out loud! How important is she? Good times, though.

Sara Decker said...

I just read that whole blog even though i have to admit i haven't even watched one episode of sytycd this summer. I can't get into it for some reason. Sounds like fun though, what did you do with your kiddies?

Unknown said...

So I caught up on all my SYTYCD recordings. (Do you like how I used the acronym-I do!) And aside from the fact that that I had no idea what a B-Girl was, what krumping was or how that Kat character has stayed in the spotlight for so long without having her nose fixed - I'm ready for the finale. I remember now that last summer, I watched the last 3 episodes too. I think I even voted after one of them. I totally forgot about that! Can't wait! My vote is for Sabra. Well, tonight it is anyway! And what is with that judge's screaming? So annoying!