Monday, August 6

Blogging question

So here is my question: I just went to Christy's site and I left a comment on her blog. If she wanted to respond to my comment, should she leave a comment under mine on her own blog, and then I keep checking her comments to see if she wrote something back to me? Or should she go to my blog and leave a comment under my most recent post, and then I watch my comments to see if she responded? Does that make sense?

Christy is really a hypothetical here, but I have wondered what the appropriate thing to do is in that situation. You know, blogging etiquette.

14 comments:

ali said...

oooh. tough question. I have often wondered this myself. Most people I know leave the return comment on their own blog and you have to just check back. I personally like to put my return comment on the other person's blog because you KNOW they will see it.

This is a real head-scratcher?!?!

Wendy said...

I think you should respond on the blog where the question was given. That way there is no confusion to what you are refering to. I also sometimes just respond to specific questions via email (if I have the address) unless it's a question for everyone or something everyones else is interested in. I don't mind if other's carry on in my comments, do you?

Adrienne said...

Ha--Wendy that's hilarious you ending your message with a question, cuz I'm left wondering, do I just respond to her right here? WIll she check back on my comment board to see my answer? I'm thinking like Ali--like maybe they won't see my remark unless they keep checking back on my comment page.
But to answer your question, no I don't mind if others carry on in my comments. That is the only thing I have found that I like better about MySpace, all comments just show up on your home page.
Anyway, just wondering!

ali said...

Adrienne...you have MySpace? What are you.....16?

Just kidding.

Wendy said...

FYI: I read your response. Too funny! Do you get your comments emailed to you?

Melissa said...

Wow.
I have wondered the same thing as well - I'm still not convinced of one way or another.
A - I say you decide and then I will abide by your rule. Good?

Anonymous said...

i say if the question is specific to the post then the answer goes in the initial comment - but if it's a hey what's up comment - let's do something -- then it goes in the other persons... i've done both depending

Adrienne said...

The only problem with that JEss, is that it feels so random to go to their post about, let's say cryptosporidium, and just leave some remark about what show you watched last night. But I guess what you said makes sense. It is funny that we have all wondered this, yet there has never been an incident yet of "oh, you didn't see my comment?", regardless of where the comment was left. I guess I won't worry too much about it.

Christy said...

I think you leave it under the original post, because then you know what your talking about. It would be weird if I made a comment about your cookies under your parasite post. I don't want to associate those two together...you know what I mean? You don't have to answer that:)

Jenny said...

I think you comment back on the original post. If I want to see what they said, I will check back. I usually only do that if I've come up with something clever to write - which isn't often. If people comment on my posts, I comment back there, or email if it's something specific to me and not to the post. Especially if it's time sensitive. I feel like asking a question, just to see if you'll answer it, but I won't...I'll still check back though.

Adrienne said...

Go ahead and check back! I'm not scared. It seems like the general consensus is to comment back on the original post.
But I still think it is weird when you want to say something totally unrelated to anything, and so you pick some random post and leave some random comment. But oh well...i'm not losing any sleep over this. :)

ali said...

to think you got 11 comments out of this blog? wow.

Kim said...

Obviously I have no blogging etiquette so I probably shouldn't respond. :) I would leave it on the original post also.

Tracy said...

Adrienne you're so funny... I've always wondered the same thing, I'm glad you brought it up!

FYI: I agree with Jess.